Destinations represent the final output stage for your data, having transformed and reconfigured it to the format of your choice. Configuring a destination allows Datatap to communicate with your visualization software (e.g. SQL Database, Google Sheets, etc.).
Datatap can be configured to export to a wide variety of different platforms and visualization software. Destinations are different to Connections and Datastreams, in that Adverity uses a few main categories that can be widely customized to interface with your chosen visualization software. For the purpose of this tutorial, we will use a universally accessible Destination, a Google Drive environment.
- Firstly, you need to create another Connection, so click on ‘Connections’ in the left hand navigation menu.
Your first connection was an import from Datasource>Datatap, and now we will complete the journey by creating an export Connection from Datatap>Destination.
- Repeat the steps as per “Your First Datastream”, but this time selecting "File Google Drive" as the Connection to create.
- Authorize the Connection using your Google login credentials.
- Returning to the Datatap dashboard, click on ‘Destinations’ in the left hand navigation.
- You will be taken to a screen asking you to select a Destination to change. Since you don’t have one yet, instead click ‘+Add’.
- Click on ‘File’.
- a. Name your Destination.
b. Under “Connection”, select the Google Drive Connection you just created.
c. Create a Name for the folder in which the extracts will be stored after export. If the folder name does not already exist, Datatap will create it upon first export.
d. Since we currently haven't created any Schema, un-tick the “Schema Mapping” box.
- Click “Save”.
- Return to the “Overview” screen and:
a. Open the 'Organization Management' tab.
b. Click 'Manage Organizations'.
- Select the Organization you want connected to your new Destination.
- Use the "Destination" drop-down to choose the new Destination, and then 'Save' your changes.
- Return to the “Overview” screen, and click on your Datastream in the “Datastreams” section.
- Enable the Destination.
- Now, if you run a Fetch action, the results will automatically be pushed to the selected Destination, your Google Drive.
See a video of this process in-UI:
"What Did I Just Do, and What's Next?"
Your data journey is now complete, from Datasource to Destination. You have created the framework for data analysis, but still have yet to experiment with the most powerful functions of data analysis and harmonization that Datatap offers. We suggest your next steps should be:
- Repeat the process for other datasources you want to connect, beginning by setting up another Datastream.