Creating an API Datastream and Connection
- In the Datatap dashboard, click on 'Datastreams' in the left hand navigation.
- You will be taken to a screen asking you to select a Datastream to change. Since you don’t have one yet, instead click ‘+Add’.
- From the list, pick an API datasource that you currently use, and wish to connect to Datatap.
Note: For this tutorial we are going to use an API Datastream, so do not select any of the following: Bundle, Database, File, Google Drive, or Web Connect.
- Once you’ve selected an API, you'll be prompted to select the Connection that Datatap will use to facilitate the Datastream. Currently you have no Connections, so it's time to +Add a new one.
- You will be taken to the next screen to create a connection, and prompted to enter your account login details for the relevant data source account. Your credentials will not be stored in Adverity systems.
Note: Wherever possible, we utilize OAuth2 to authorize credentials, but if your datasource does not support it then you will be requested to directly enter account and password information as in the above example.Tip: If you need to grant third-party companies (sub-contractors, agencies, etc.) access to your Datatap account, instructions can be found here.
- Once your connection has been authorized, you will progress to the configuration screens. For the moment, leave these options at default values, simply scroll to the bottom of the screen and click ‘save’ and return to the main dashboard.
- Your new Datastream will now be visible in the main dashboard Overview.
A more detailed overview of Datastreams can be found here [pending full page link].
See a video of this process in-UI:
"What Did I Just Do, and What's Next?"
You just configured and authorized Datatap to access one of your external data resources, allowing the programs to talk to each other. The next step is either:
- Progress to the next stage in Datatap 101, Your First Fetch, where you will import data into Datatap for the first time.
- Repeat the process for other datasources you want to connect.
- Configure Your Datastream to your requirements.